Academic advising is a central part of what the Bloch Student Services office does. It is how we help you stay on track and graduate!
Remember to check your UMKC email.
Frequently Asked Questions
You will not be allowed to register for classes if advising is required.
- New students at all levels must be advised before registering for classes.
- Continuing students must meet with an advisor as indicated below.
|Degree or Undergrad Level||Advising Required?||How Often?|
|Freshman||Yes||Required each semester before registration|
|Junior||Yes||Required each semester before registration|
|M.B.A.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
|M.P.A.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
|M.S.A.||Yes||Required each semester before registration|
|M.S.F.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
|M.S.E.R.E.||New students||Required first semester before registration|
The following degree programs are advised out of the Student Services Office (Bloch Heritage Hall 115):
- Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.)
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting (B.S.A.)
- Business Minor (Bus. Minor)
- Entrepreneurship Minor (Ent. Minor)
Undergraduate students are assigned to one of three advisors by the first letter of their last name:
- Cheree Edwards advises students with last names starting A-G
- Krystal Schwenker advises students with last names H-O
- Cassie Shaffer Johnson advises students with last names P-Z
Students can meet with their assigned advisor or an advisor available at the desired appointment time.
You can schedule appointments through UMKC Connect by going to "My Success Network" or by calling the Bloch School Student Services Office at 816-235-2215. Click here for additional information on UMKC Connect.
The following degree programs are advised out of the Graduate Programs Office (BEH 418):
MBA students are advised by Jewel Madsen.
M.P.A., M.S.A., M.S.F., and MSERE students are advised by Barb Domke.
The Bloch Student Services Office will begin advising after the schedule is released for a given semester. We recommend coming in for advising as soon as the schedule has been released to insure you have the broadest choice of classes.
During walk-in advising times, students may be seen by someone other than their assigned advisor. Students are seen on a first-come first served basis.
|Day||Walk-in Times||Sign-In Begins at|
|Wednesday||9:00-11:00 a.m.||9 a.m.|
|Wednesday||1:00-4:00 p.m.||1 p.m.|
Sign-ins may end early depending on the number of students waiting for assistance.
Advisors may trade advising shifts to accommodate meetings.
Call 816-235-2215 to schedule an appointment or book through "My Success Network" in UMKC Connect.
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday||9:00 - 12 p.m. and
1:00 - 4:00 p.m.
|Monday||5:00 and 5:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||5:00 and 5:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||5:00 and 5:30 p.m.|
Graduate Advising Hours
MBA students are advised by Jewel Madsen in the Bloch School Graduate Programs Office (BEH 418). Appointments can be made by emailing Jewel Madsen or calling 816-235-2303.
Advising for M.S.A., M.P.A., M.S.E.R.E., and M.S.F. students is provided by Barb Domke in the Bloch School Graduate Programs Office (BEH 418). Appointments can be scheduled by emailing Barb Domke or calling 816-235-2218.
Major maps show program requirements in a semester by semester plan. Updated annually and selected by the term you entered UMKC, major maps are a guide to graduation in four years.
These are the advising sheets the Bloch School uses. Unlike the major map, the advising sheets show program requirements by category - general education, electives, basic skills, business/accounting core and emphasis (B.B.A. only).
- For students entering fall 2015 and beyond. (PDF)
- For first-time college students who entered in fall 2013 through summer 2015 and for transfer students who entered fall 2014 through summer 2015. (PDF)
- For transfer students who entered in fall 2013, spring 2014 or summer 2014. (PDF)
- For students who entered before fall 2013. (PDF)
- For a first-time college student who entered fall 2013 and beyond and for a transfer student who entered fall 2014 and beyond. (PDF)
- For students who entered as first-time freshmen before fall 2013 and transfer students who enter before fall 2014. (PDF)
- For students entering fall 2017 and beyond. (PDF)
- Business Minor (PDF)
- Entrepreneurship Minor (PDF)